The All of Us Research Program is guided by a set of core values:
- Participation is open to all. Enrollment is open to all eligible adults who live in the United States. People of every race, ethnicity, sex, gender, and sexual orientation are welcome. No health insurance is required. You can be healthy or have health issues. You can sign up directly through JoinAllofUs.org or through participating health care provider organizations. In the future, children will be able to join.
- Participants reflect the rich diversity of the United States. To develop individualized plans for disease prevention and treatment, researchers need more data about the differences that make each of us unique. Having a diverse group of participants can lead to important breakthroughs. These discoveries may help make health care better for everyone.
- Participants are partners. Participants shape the program with their input and contribute to a project that may improve the health of future generations. They may also learn about their own health.
- Transparency earns trust. We inform participants about how their data are used, accessed, and shared. Participants can choose how much information to share.
- Participants have access to their information. All of Us lets participants see their own information and records.
- Data are broadly accessible for research purposes. All of Us makes information about participants as a group available in a public database. Everyone can explore the database or use it to make discoveries. Data from individual participants are also available, but only for researchers who apply and are approved. Any personal information that identifies a participant, such as name or address, is removed from data that researchers can access.
- Security and privacy are of highest importance. Data are stored in a secure, cloud-based database. All systems meet the requirements of the Federal Information Security Management Act. Ongoing security tests help protect participant data. Learn more about how the All of Us Research Program protects data and privacy.
- The program will be a catalyst for positive change in research. Working together, All of Us researchers, partners, and participants can build a better future for health research and care.
Find in-depth information on how the program works in the All of Us Research Program Protocol.
Questions? Contact us.